We are going to start compiling a list of interesting facts about Maine with a bit of help from the governments site.
* Population of Maine in 2000: 1,274,923
* Counties: 16
* Land Area: 33,215 square miles
* Length of Coastline: 3,500 miles
* Lakes and Ponds: 6,000
* Forest: 17 million acres (90 percent of the land)
* Persons per Square Mile: 41.3
* Largest City: Portland
* Largest Mountain In Maine: Mt. Katahdin (5,268 feet)
* State Capital: Augusta
* Statehood: Became the 23rd State on March 15, 1820
* Islands: Over 2000
* Famous People: Steven King
* Tourists Nickname: Vacationland
* LL Bean: Home of LL Bean in Freeport, Maine
* First City: York, Maine (Home to 13,000 people today)
* Famous food: Lobster
* Bath is known as the city of the ships.
* 90 percent of toothpicks in the country are made in Maine.
* Maine is the 23rd state of the United States.
* The first ship ever built in America was launched on the Kennebec River in 1607.
* Maine is the only state in the union to have a one syllable name.
* Maine is also the only state in the country to share a border with only one other state.
* Maine produces 99 percent of all blueberries in the United States.